Photobucket

Saturday, May 10, 2008

First Game...and an AB!

Yesterday was the first game of the season for my high school baseball team, the T-Birds. I, of course, did not pitch. I was mostly an observer but was in uniform and on the bench with my teammates. And yes, I was decked out in full Under Armour gear again. We kind of got slapped around pretty badly the first two innings. I guess you kinda get a feel for what's gonna happen when the other team scores 4 in the first inning. Our pitcher, Justin Miller, threw 112 pitches and was gone by the 4th inning. My coach wanted to get me in the game knowing I may not be able to play the rest of the year, so I pinch hit for Justin who was completely spent.

Here's the situation: Man on first, 1 out, we're down by 5, and I'm batting lefty to face the right-handed pitcher. I went to the plate thinking I may not get another chance to swing the bat this year. That mentality resulted in me swinging at the first pitch which I never do. Great, now I'm behind 0-1. I take the next pitch and he threw a strike at my knees. 0-2 even better. The next two pitches he throws me are breaking balls of some kind and they both end up in the dirt. 2-2. I'm now ready for a fastball up, which he kindly throws me, and I rip it....foul. He then tries to outsmart me and throws another one of those breaking balls towards my ankles, sorry, I'm not buying that. 3-2. He then throws me two straight fastballs right over the plate, and I foul them both off. What's next, hmmmmm, maybe another breaker. Nope, it's a fastball and it was way too high. Hey I drew a walk. We unfortunately couldn't get a rally going and the inning ended on a pop up to the pitcher and a ground out. We lost 9-4. All in all I am happy with having no official at-bat and an on-base percentage of 1.000.

No comments: